Friday, September 10, 2010

You can e-mail it to me, or we can just sit down and look over it?

One of my deepest fears about being a writing consultant, is that it just wont work- that I won't be able to actually help anyone...

However, today I was hanging out with my roommate, jamming out to some tunes when she asked me if I could help her with her paper... she knew what she wanted to say, but just wasn't really sure how to go about saying it... I thought about our reading and what we've been talking about in class, so we turned off the tunes and I sort of asked her to just talk out her idea to me... to explain what she was thinking in the context of the novel, and how she thought it would help her argument... much to my surprise, it worked out really well... together we found just the right way to put words to her ideas! Afterwards, once she had finished we sat down together and went over the whole paper... usually she just prints them out, I write all over them, give them back to her, and she fixes them, but in the spirit of the writing center, I thought that we should practice our collaboration... so together, we collaborated... I felt a strange yet satisfying feeling when she said " wow, doing this together is so much better than you just correcting my papers.. I actually understand what you're fixing and I feel like it's gonna help me be a better writer." I didn't actually think that people made comments like that... I figured it was one of those things that the writing center made up and quoted their clients saying to make it look good, but I was wrong... today, for the first time, I really took a step towards learning how to collaboratively help someone with their papers in a face to face setting, and it actually worked... I really hope that she gets an A on her paper... if she doesn't do well, I'll have to take back what I just said and I'll feel like a total idiot- but I know she'll do well because she's such a smart cookie!


HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND!
Gyra

No comments:

Post a Comment