Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Finals? what? worst 2 weeks ever? who said that? more coffee??

This is definitely a rough couple of weeks for everyone, and I really think that it is weeks like this that make me hate college and make me really think about if I'm even really learning anything during the dreaded FINALS. It is supposed to be the time to use all of our knowledge from the semester and show off what we know, but all I'm doing is just trying to get through it! I don't feel proud of my papers after I write them- I just start on the next one before I fall asleep in B1 and make a fool of myself. I think that sometimes teachers forget how hard it is to get sleep, eat right, go to the gym, and do their zillion assignments while still being able to partake in normal every day conversation and not fall asleep at the wheel. How are we supposed to turn in our best academic work for every single class? It's impossible to do everything and do it well! I think that there should be more assignments that are geared towards telling our teachers what we found interesting in the class and what we would like to talk a bit more about. I think that our final project in this class is nice because it is so open; we can take something that interested us and do some more research on it. It gives us the opportunity to put a little bit of ourselves into our final, and I wish I could do something like that in many of my other classes!

5 comments:

  1. After MANY semesters of taking finals I think I have finally come to grips wit the fact that what is important is that I learned a lot and took a lot away from the course. I feel this way especially about final exams. I took a test today and the professor want us to know exactly which author thought of certain topics. I am sure that I had to have confused a few of them. But that's ok because I know that 10 years from now I won't remember what any of the authors thought but I will remember thinking critically about my own opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with what your saying. Its sooo hard to do our best work in such a short amount of time, esp. with no to little sleep and crappy D-hall diet lol. One thing I've learned to do for finals week is really prioritize my time. I write out a hourly schedule for each day and write in how long I want to work on each assignment and on what days. The key to actually following this schedule is to be honest on your attention span! Like for me after 3 hours of work I got to play around on the internet or watch tv. Otherwise I'll spend half my time just looking at a blank screen and not really do anything.

    Hope this helps :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree; worst two weeks ever. Made even worse by the fact that break is so close and yet so far away. As much as I hate getting up early, I have found that if I try to go to bed early and wake up early, I can work so much better than if I try to pull all-nighters.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gyra, I think you make a great point about this class's final and how it gives us a certain degree of freedom. Being forced to write on uninteresting topics adds insult to injury when we are already up late doing outrageous amounts of work. It's really important to have an interest in what you do!

    ReplyDelete