Monday, November 1, 2010

SoOoO proud of my dear roomate, Allie Miller!

So, last night I was sitting on the couch, doing some reading for class, and sipping on some sleepytime tea. I was totally wrapped up in my reading, but then, out of nowhere, I was pulled out of my trancelike reading state by none other than WRITING CONSULTANT LINGO! I walked into the kitchen to find none other than Allie sitting on her computer, having a Skype consultation with her brother about his paper. She didn't know that i was listening, but she sounded like such a good writing consultant! She was doing all the things that we talk about in class! She was giving him positive reinforcement, she was asking him questions about what he meant, and she was respectfully offering him constructive criticism. The fact that she was acting really professional with her younger brother made me so proud of her! She was considering his paper outside of their family context, and I think that it sort of connects to our discussion about power roles in writing consultations. Allie could've treated her brother like a dumb younger sibling, gotten frustrated, and just fixed it for him, but instead, she took the time to really consider his paper and treat him just like any other person who would ask for a consultation. She didn't talk about the family or anything else but the paper while they were working on it. It made me really think that perhaps the person who are working with isn't that big of an issue- maybe you can simultaneously take into consideration the person you are working with, their paper, and their reactions to create a personalized yet not too personalized writing session without even thinking about it too much. Maybe its just natural to consider the circumstances and act accordingly without having to stress! Allie did a great job- she sounded just like a " real life writing consultant" and I was so proud of her! I'm gonna book her as soon as shes on the schedule!!

No comments:

Post a Comment