Wednesday, October 27, 2010

OK ok ok I know that everyone is sick of me being torn and talking about ESL by now, but just in case you arent...

So I know that we are going to have an entire week dedicated to ESL students, but I seriously can't wait until then to talk about it. I have another shadowing consultation today with an ESL student and I'm already dreading it because I know that we wont really be able to help her! I know that the Writing Center is not supposed to help students with every single error in grammar, but what about ESL students who really do need grammar help? The Writing Center is really the only place that they can come to get one on one judge free help, but we can't even really help them with what they ask for ( sorry for ending this sentence in a preposition, i couldn't think of a way to rearrange.) I think that the writing center is a GREAT place, but I think it could maybe benefit to catering to its clients a bit more. I mean, why can't there be a few fellows that are specifically trained to help with grammar? What's the logical conclusion behind not helping students with their grammar. Maybe for an ESL student, or any student for that matter, grammar is just like any other writing problem- its not necessarily a matter of laziness but of not understanding. I mean there isn't a place where we can go for grammar help, and there isn't a required grammar class, and I know we all struggle with those tricky commas, so what are we supposed to do about it? If the writing center can't help, then who can? ( even there, I'm not sure whether I should've used then or than... i think i picked the wrong one too lol sorry!) It's not even just about grammar- my fellow was just talking about how he is one of the only business majors who is a writing fellow and he get inundated with papers for bstats classes- he doesn't have time to help everyone who needs it and there aren't any other consultants that are in the b-school and know the teachers. I don't thing that the Writing Center is flawed, but I think that maybe it could make a few changes to cater to its clients because after all, it is their resource for writing help!

1 comment:

  1. Gyra,
    You absolutely can help the ESL students with grammar, correctness, prepositions, etc. It is just that that is not the only thing they need help with. After you complete this class, my hope is that you will be fully prepared to make your own calls, and ask questions and do research when you need more advice.
    Tell me more about the b-stats thing? Do you mean that they need help with grammar only? Or stats? Or that they only turst ther business majors? Tell me more about that.

    ReplyDelete